Knowle Village, Fareham
The site was originally known as the Hampshire County Lunatic Asylum and was completed in December 1852. At its peak in 1900 the asylum housed over 1000 patients.
The asylum was renamed Knowle Mental Hospital in 1923 and then became Knowle Hospital in 1948, finally closing in 1996 when new initiatives for 'care in the community' were introduced for the housing of patients.
The hospital was a Grade 2 Listed Building and was sensitively converted into luxury apartments and the 100 acres of ground surrounding the hospital buildings developed as new housing.